Tuesday, June 26, 2012

I did cartwheels in your honor

I have been obsessed, delirious and crazed over a handful of songs lately. I cannot stop listening to them and as a writer noting and devouring the sublime words and lyrical genius of some of these artists. So in a hats off salute to my favorite bands and the way they make my heart stand up and clap, I have selected my absolute favorite lyrics as of late, and woven them into a little tale.

Open your eyes and your 9 years older,
Hands on the wheel and your racing on over to lie with your first love you can't wait to see her,
You borrowed the car and you think your the driver,
But now your the passenger to your own heart and it takes you travelling,
Travelling on...

And the songbirds keep singing,
Like they know the score,

How fickle my heart and how woozy my eyes
I struggle to find any truth in your lies
And now my heart stumbles on things I don't know
My weakness I feel I must finally show

"Jade?”
“Alexander?”
“Do you remember that day you fell out of my window?”
“I sure do, you came jumping out after me.”
“Well, you fell on the concrete
and nearly broke your ass
and you were bleeding all over the place
and I rushed you off to the hospital.
Do you remember that?”
“Yes, I do.”
“Well, there's something
I never told you about that night.”
“What didn't you tell me?”
“While you were sitting in the backseat
smoking a cigarette you thought
was going to be your last,
I was falling deep, deeply in love with you
and I never told you 'til just now.”
“Now I know.”

Lend me your hand and we'll conquer them all
But lend me your heart and I'll just let you fall
Lend me your eyes I can change what you see
But your soul you must keep, totally free

The grass was so green against my new clothes,
And I did cartwheels in your honor, dancing on tiptoe

I feel her filth in my bones
Wash off my hands til it's gone
The walls they're closing in
With velvet curtains

It's better to feel pain, than nothing at all
The opposite of love's indifference
Pay attention now, I'm standing on your porch screaming out
And I wont leave until you come downstairs

Look at what it might have been if you took the bus to china town. I've been standing on Canal. And Bowery. And she'd be standing next to me

And the only solution was to stand and fight,
And my body was bruised and
I was set alight,

Fallin' apart, spellbound, scheming for you
I'll crawl to the corner store
Courage makes me want you more

Six a.m. you left me for the last time
On my doorstep blinking in the sunshine
Blamed and framed I'm frozen in the picture
Hanging in the space you left inside me
Climbed upstairs into the final scene
Waiting for the credits to appear
For all the years that I've been starring
Starring in a film with you and leading

Don't you frown when you're feelin like that
Only love can dig you out of this

No comments: